The online travel blog of Sammy

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

first post!

Hello everyone!

Here is my first blog on what I will hopefully be able to keep updated!

I know for some of my readers, you're probably thinking, what on earth is a blog?

Let me briefly explain. A blog is basically a tool used to keep people up to date with their lives, a bit like a news feed. Basically, just keep coming back and look for updates. The web address to this blog is http://travel-with-sammy.blogspot.com

A bit of background info.
I went to Indonesia in 2002 when I was in year 10 with my school, Murrayville Community College. We spent about 7 days in Yogyakarta, Java. Prior to going on this trip, I was thinking of quitting Indonesian as a subject. I gave in to going on the once in a lifetime experience (and it was - you wont find many schools going to Java, let alone Indonesia alone these days) and instead of me giving up on Indonesian, I followed through to VCE with my Indonesian, and then moving 4+ hours away to Bendigo just so I could go on with Indonesian (I had heard great things about Indonesian here at La Trobe).

At the end of 2007, I will have an Indonesian major. I have the trip going to Indonesia, and some fantastic teachers and lecturers to thank with my persistance on this. Without initially going to Indonesia I would have never been ignited with such a passion to embrase studying a second language and another culture!

When the opportunity came up to go to Sulawesi in November, I was quick to apply. And so now here I am. As I write this post it will be 20 days until I go - yes I am counting down!

I believe that it will change my life in a whole new way, just like it did in 2002! It seems like yesterday I was in Yogyakarta, but wow, it was actually 5 years ago!

So I'm all set for the journey.
I have had my injections, I have my passport, and I've paid for my airfare. I just need to sort out a few things to wear, a few souvineers to take over.

Now a bit about what I'm doing over there. Basically, I'm heading over with a group from uni. We're going to a town about the size of Bendigo (but a bit more crammed, think 200,000+ people). We're going to do a bit of language stuff, as well as visit a whole heap of different places. We're also spending a heap of time out in a village (think "the lost tribes"). I'll tell you more about it as we go along.

So here's to Indonesia - keep checking back here for more!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, that's cool! I am so excited for you and want to see some pics!!

Amy